Link Engine Management is happy to support this ambitious drag car project based in Tauranga, New Zealand, built by David and Lindie Du Toit.
This is a completely custom built project car, based on the shape of a VW Beetle and using a tube-frame chassis. It is expected to be finished by the end of this year and will certainly turn heads as it flys down the 1/4 mile. Power expectations for the car are set around 600kW to 700kW, which David hopes will see it reach the team’s goal of chasing Brad Jonson’s 13B H-pattern record of 8.59 @167mph.
Make: VW Beetle
Modifications: Full tube chassis, custom built drag car. (not street legal)
Model: N/A –the VW has been completely transformed and apart from the shape nothing is VW
Year: (1970 style VW) but complete rebuild 2017
Engine: 13B JC Turbo Rotary by Dyno Power
Engine Management: Link Fury ECU
Colours: DNA Fucia pink candy
- Iwith ladder-bar rear end Green Brother’s built Ford nine-inchdiff with a chromoly full spool and 35-spline Moser axles.
- The front suspension features Strange struts and chromoly arms.
- The roll cage was built to see the car into the 7-second zone and coated in a red candy clear with a marble-like effect.
- Weight is to be expected round the 700kg mark thanks to a one-piece fibreglass front end, doors, fenders and boot lid. All the panels are Zeus clipped to the frame for easy removal.
- There is a very serious methanol-drinking 13B sitting up front (based on a JC Cosmo engine) built up by Dyno Power using lightened S4 RX 7 Rotors, stage two porting and a full dowel kit.
- The Turbo is a custom 83-mm BorgWoarner S400 with eight 2400cc injectors that will feed the meth from a small front mounted tank.
- Tremec TKO 600 supplied by Green Brothers with a steel bellhousing and McLeod eight-inch clutch.