G4 Xtreme - Top End Engine Management
The G4 Xtreme offers the ultimate in engine management.
Designed and built to be the best, the G4 Xtreme delivers the results, with more functions than normally demanded by both tuner and driver:
- Eight saturated injection drives
- Eight ignition outputs
- Eight analog inputs
- Four temperature inputs
- Eight digital inputs
- Eight auxiliary outputs *
- Two, thirty four pin, waterproof connectors
- External, 2.5, 3, 4 or 7 bar, MAP sensor (sold separately)
G4 Xtreme Key Features
- Lightweight loom
- Waterproof connectors
- Up to 6D fuel and ignition mapping
- Precision closed loop cam control (four cam, independent control)
- Up to 8 channel sequential fuel and ignition
- Large number configurable input and output channels
- Digital triggering, all OEM patterns
- Rotary - up to four rotors, fully sequentially staged injection and sequential ignition
- OEM idle hardware supported
- 8 injection drives
- 5D boost control with three switchable tables
- Motorsport features - antilag, launch, flat shift
- Continuous barometric correction (on board)
- CAN port
- QuickTune - automated fuel tuning
- Individual cylinder correction
- Odd-fire engines & two-strokes
- USB tuning cable included
- Stats recording into on-board memory
- Gear compensations for spark, boost and fuel
- Real time selectable dual fuel, ignition and boost maps
- Sync and crank sensors can be a combination of Hall effect, variable reluctance or optical
- Boost control referenced to gear, speed or throttle position
- Up to 4MB internal logging memory
- Staged injection
- Closed loop knock control
- Firmware updates available online (linkecu.com)
Using PCLink, QuickTune is an interactive tuning tool that assists in time efficient fuel tuning.
A graphical display of Target AFR (desired AFR) and Actual AFR (measured AFR) is provided. A dual pointer gauge allows the tuner to quickly see how close Actual AFR is to the Target AFR. QuickTune can be setup to operate over the entire fuel table or just over a particular area.
QuickTune can be used in Manual or Automatic modes. In Manual mode, QuickTune guides you to cell centering and advises you when is a suitable time to make a fuel table adjustment. With the press of a key a calculated adjustment is made. Often only one or two adjustments are required to tune each cell. In Automatic mode QuickTune does all the adjustments for you. This leaves the tuner free to operate the Dyno or perform other tuning work such as making ignition or cam angle adjustments.
G4 Xtreme Knock Control
Knock, also known as detonation refers to the spontaneous combustion of an air/fuel mixture inside a combustion chamber. Knock is induced by excessive pressure within the combustion chamber causing the air/fuel mixture to self detonate. These pressures can be a result of high engine temperature, inappropriate turbo boost pressure, excessive inlet air temperature, and ignition timing which is over advanced.
The Link G4 Xtreme ECU is capable of detecting knock by using factory, or after market knock sensors. By applying user configurable ‘time windowing’ techniques and filtering options the Xtreme will determine which cylinder has knock, and the severity of the knock. 3D knock level threshold tables are used to prevent false detection caused by mechanical engine noise.
Each individual cylinder can be assigned with a 3D knock ignition trim table. These tables are generally spanned using ‘RPM’ and ‘Load’ as their axis, and zones within these tables are modified dynamically by the ECU upon detection of knock. Timing is retarded on detection of knock in the particular zone, using configurable sensitivity and clamping properties. This all happens within the bounds of microseconds.
The G4 Xtreme can be configured to gradually re-introduce timing advance, at a rate governed by the speed and delay of which the user has specified in the settings when knock is no longer detected.
On Board Data Logging
The latest G4 firmware version enables the ECUs on board data logging functionality. On board data logging is an essential feature for tuning and motorsport diagnostics. On board data logging allows ECU information to be recorded directly to memory inside the ECU. Recorded information can be retrieved for analysis at a later stage.
All G4 ECU's are built with 32Mbit flash memory fitted. This is significantly more data logging memory than competitors' ECUs. The ECU can be configured to record a large number of parameters at various rates. High capacity memory allows for recording of approximately 100 parameters at a rate of 50 times per second for nearly 14 minutes. Slower rates allow for over 11 hours recording time.
The ECU can be configured to start recording when an external switch is turned on or based on some internal condition. Log files are independently recorded and can be retrieved without downloading the entire ECU memory.
Auxiliary Output Options
Variable Valve Timing
Additional Accessories (Purchased Separately)
PCLink is a ‘Windows’ application that enables the user to tune and monitor Link Engine Management systems using a laptop or PC. This laptop tuning enables the user to view and alter all functions of the Link system in real time. Help is available on screen, as well as step-by-step introductory tutorials, allowing familiarisation with the PCLink software before tuning of the engine. PCLink enables the user to view and alter all functions of their Link Engine Management System in real time (while the engine is running).
The programme may be controlled using either the keyboard (quick-keys) or mouse. Online help is available via the Windows help system and all the information is contained within PCLink as well as step by step introductory tutorials. There is no need to carry an instruction book as it is all within your laptop once PCLink is installed. The introductory tutorials allow the user to become familiar with the PCLink software before tuning their engine. PCLink and tutorials are available for download from this website.
- User friendly interface to Link Engine Management Systems simplifies tuning and diagnostics
- View the entire fuel or ignition map as a table with crosshairs to accurately pinpoint the engine parameters*
- Advanced time saving table editing features such as interpolate, percentage adjust, fill and import/export
- Serial or USB Connection to Link Engine Management Systems
- Access and adjust all Link Engine Management System features in real time* (while the engine is running)
- Upload, download, save and print configurations
- Attach tuning notes to individual configurations
- View all run-time information as lists or on screen gauges
- Datalog and plot run-time information in real time. Logs can be saved for later analysis.
- Edit all tables/maps (fuel, ignition, boost etc...) and view as a standard table, 2-D graph or 3-D surface
*important features that differentiate PCLink from competitors software
The Xtreme G4 standard kit includes:
- G4 Xtreme ECU
- 2.5m wiring loom
- ECU mounting kit
- Wiring and installation instructions
- USB tuning cable
- Inlet Air Temperature Sensor (highly recommended)
- Ballast Resistors
- Wide band O2 Sensors
“Full Information at your Fingertips”
Plug in and go, real time driver display. Users love the DisplayLink due to its ease of use, fascinating insight into what is happening with the engine and the fact that they can’t “mess up the ECU”.
Connect the DisplayLink, it works out of the box. Select what you need to see, the DisplayLink provides the instrumentation and information desired, both while the engine is running and subsequently from the internal memory.
All settings, menus and information are accessible using the five built-in buttons. Warnings are activated if inputs go out of range, a built in warning light alerts the driver and the condition presented graphically (even in direct sunlight).
Download a pdf brochure (2.1mB) on the G4 Xtreme ECU.
Download the G4 Xtreme Wiring and Installation manual - includes G4 Storm and G4 Atom information (pdf file)
Other G4 brochures available as pdf files: